Thursday, November 1, 2007

Abbreviation vs Acronym

I learned the difference between abbreviation and acronym today from Star newspaper. All this while I thought they are just different words describing the same thing.

Now let me see whether I can still remember what I read from the papers... hmm better to confirm this with some online dictionaries.

Abbreviation

  • meaning: a shortened form of a word or phrase, usually made up from the first letter of each word. They are pronounced letter by letter.
  • example: CEO is an abbreviation for 'Chief Executive Officer'.

Acronym

  • meaning: a shortened form of a word or phrase, usually made up from the first letter of each word. They are pronounced as a word.
  • example: AIDS is an acronym for 'Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome'

In short, acronym is an abbreviation that can be pronounced as a word.

Some funny acronyms I found from the net:

  • ADAM - Ada Dangdut Ada Maksiat
  • BMW - Bought My Wife
  • KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid!
  • CHEVROLET - Cheap, Hardly Efficient, Virtually Runs On Luck Every Time
  • BATA - Buy And Throw Away
  • HONDA - Had One, Never Did Again
  • BEER - Beginning Enjoy, Ending Regret
  • PUASU - Put Up and Shut Up
  • ADIDAS - All Day I Dream About Sex
  • FORD - Fix Or Repair Daily
  • VISTA - Very Inconsistent Software, Try Again
  • CRAFT - Can't Remember A Fu**ing Thing
  • FEAR - Forget Everything And Run
  • PITA - Pain In The Ass

Recent Related Posts



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book