Sunday, October 7, 2007

The Wild Side

Today I got in touch with my wild side. ... I went to Zoo Negara la.

I can't recall the last time I visited our local Zoo. I think it must be 5-6 years ago! I think that's the thing with local attractions. We often take them for granted and rather spend the time and money visiting the same attractions in other countries.

However I have to agree with why people have such mentality. Our local attractions just could not compete! I am not sure whether there are many tourists who go to our Zoo, but during my visit there today, I would have to say that 90% of them were locals.

Anyway, Zoo Negara is a major zoological park in Malaysia located on a 120 acres of land in Ulu Klang, near Taman Melawati on the north-east of Kuala Lumpur. It was officially opened on 14th November 1963. The park is managed by a non-governmental organization known as the Malaysian Zoological Society.

Main EntranceThe admission fee for adult was RM15/person. Children will be charged at RM6/person. Senior citizens are admitted free of charge but they will need to show their identification papers.

Once paid, you will be given a wristband that you need to wear around your.... wrist (Duh!).

WristbandYou can get the Zoo's map once you get inside. There was another brochure mentioning about the different sections of the Zoo but it was entirely in Malay. I couldn't find an english version and was convinced that the lack of it depicted how many tourists they have there.

Map

(Click to enlarge)


For train ride with tour guide, you would need to pay an extra RM25 but I would advise against it. I was looking at the elephants and the train passed by. I could hear the tour guide announcing to the people on the train that on their right were the elephants. Period... DUH!!! Anybody can do that!!

Train

The whole Zoo looked rather old and not very well maintained. It's 44 years old after all. The Zoo was sectioned as below:

  • Giraffes & Elephants
  • Bird House (didn't go there cos we were afraid of bird flu :-p)
  • Tigers & Lions
  • Reptile House
  • Mammal Kingdom
  • Ape Centre
  • Savannah Walk
  • Bears
  • Children's World (like a petting Zoo thingy)
  • Multi-Animal Show
  • Aquarium (didn't go there cos the path leading to it was damn dusty)

Although the place looked rather worn out, the most important thing was that the animals looked healthy and well cared for.

Following are some of their pictures:

Grazing Giraffes
Giraffe
Elephant
Elephant
Stork
Emu
Birds
Spotted Deers
Lion
Puma
Chimps
Orang Utan (left) and Keeper (right) ;-)
Camel
White Rhino
Ostrich
Flamingoes
Giant Tortoise
Crocodile
Brown Bear
Black Bear

There were some gifts shops for those who like to get some souvenirs. Like all tourist attractions' gifts shops, the things are usually over priced.

Gift Shop

There was a fast food restaurant and some snack cafes for those who would like to grab a bite.

Fast Food Restaurant
Snack Cafe

It took us 2 hours to complete the whole tour. My verdict - it was not really bad although it could be better in terms on maintenance. However I think as Malaysians, we should support our local attractions. Perhaps then, they will get enough fund to make the place better.

Hmm...which will be my next local attraction to visit? "Eye on Malaysia"? National Museum? We shall see....

Recent Related Posts



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book