Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Better The Devil You Know?

I first learned about this "Better The Devil You Know" phrase from Kylie Minogue's song. I have no idea what it meant. To me, it was just another great song from her.



Only later, I understood the meaning of it. "Better The Devil You Know" is a shortened form of an idiom "better the devil you know than the devil you don't". This idiom basically means that it is often better to deal with someone or something that you are already familiar with, although unpleasant; than to take a risk with an unknown person or thing.

So should this idiom apply all the time? I don't think so. If we are always holding this in our mind and in everything that we do, wouldn't that mean that we are constantly stuck in the same place... not daring to venture into something else that may be more rewarding??

I guess any form of change presents risks... and with risks, there may be rewards... or there may be downfall. But the thing is... if you never try, you will never know. But by saying that, I don't think we should just change for the sake of changing. Important thing is to ask ourselves what we really want, and what will help us to be happier.

If certain risk didn't turn out the way we wanted it to.... then I guess it's a lesson learned. At least we know what doesn't work for us. We will eventually find way to get out of the situation. We may regret a little bit about making the change, but hey.... I think at least we deserve a pat on our backs for taking the courage to try it out.... rather than sulking at the present place and doing nothing about it.

So, better the devil you know??? I think it's better to know yourself... and to know what you really want.

Recent Related Posts



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book