Saturday, March 1, 2008

PhotoHunt: Party


I hunted up and down, left and right... and realised that I don't have many pictures for this week's theme. Oh dear... have I actually reached a stage of hermithood?

Anyway the only party pictures I could find were taken during the Loy Krathong festival in Pattaya, Thailand in Nov 2006. "Loy" means "to float", and "Krathong" is a small raft traditionally made from a section of the banana tree trunk. They are decorated with folded leaves, flowers, candles, incense etc.

Loy Krathong is a very big annual festival in Thailand. During the full moon night, these small rafts will be released into the river signifying the letting go of one's grudges, anger and defilements.

So this party that I attended was to commemorate this festival. It was held in a hotel and mainly targetted to foreigners. There were dancing, singing, beauty pageant (yes, you read that correctly) and traditional performances.


After all the performances and eating, it came to the highlight of the party... i.e the releasing of the Krathongs into the water. Every guests was provided with a Krathong each. Instead of the river, we released our Krathongs into the pool instead, hehehe. Aiya, it's the same significance ma.

That was my first Loy Krathong celebration and I really enjoyed it.

Recent Related Posts



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book